Student Visa:

Academic requirements:

Australian universities place more emphasis on understanding and applying concepts and theories and being able to examine critically different arguments and viewpoints than on route learning. Students are expected to participate in class discussions and to ask questions if they do not understand something. Most universities offer counseling services and assistance to students to develop effective study skills.  *******

Entry into Australian universities is determined by each institution's own assessment of how a student's existing qualifications compare with the content of the Australian institution's courses. The same method of assessment will be undertaken by foreign universities presented with Australian degrees. In assessing a student's academic standing, an Australian institution will look at both the level and the content of the courses completed by the applicant.

Australian universities operate on a semester basis. For the majority of universities, the first semester begins in mid February and ends in late June. Second semester begins in mid July and ends in late November. Summer break occurs during December and January. There are mid semester breaks which occur during both semesters of the year. The timing of semesters at private universities may vary slightly. Entry into Australian universities is highly competitive and it is advisable to apply for admission to more than one university.

A registered course is an education or training course offered by an Australian education provider who is registered with the Australian Government to offer courses to overseas students.

The Australian education and training system can be divided into four levels. They are:

  1. primary;
  2. secondary;
  3. vocational education (TAFE); and
  4. Training and higher education (UNIVERSITY)

However, there are also other options available to students from other countries wishing to undertake study in Australia, such as English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) and non-award courses.

The Australian Government operates an Overseas Student Program (OSP) that allows people who are not Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents to study in Australia.

Any person who is not an Australian resident may apply to study in Australia under the Overseas Student Program. If anyone intends to study in Australia more than 3 months, must apply for “student visa”. Students from some countries will need to obtain a
Pre-Visa Assessment (PVA) before confirmation of enrolment.

To apply for a visa, contact the most convenient Australian Diplomatic Mission (i.e. Australian Government office) in your home country. The Australian Government office in your country may be an Embassy, High Commission, Consulate or Consulate-General. For a reader-friendly list of Australian Government offices around the world, please click: Australian Diplomatic Mission >>

Here are the requirements/checklist>>

>Your country assessment level

>The visa subclass or education subclass

>other requirements, such as Evidence of sufficient funds /financial document and health insurance; which must be paid before arrive in Australia.

Country assessment levels>>

Country assessment level will depend on the passport you hold and the education sector relevant to your application. To find out the correct country assessment level, please click here: country assessment level>>  ********

Visa type (subclass)

Here is the visa sub-class:

Links between visa subclasses and courses/qualifications

Student visa subclass


Subclass 570
Independent ELICOS

English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) undertaken as a stand-alone course, not leading to an Australian award

Subclass 571

Primary school
Secondary school including junior and senior secondary
Approved secondary exchange programs

Subclass 572
Vocational Education and Training (VET)

Certificate I, II, III, and IV
Diploma, Advanced diploma
Former RATE system qualifications: Certificate, Advanced certificate and Associate diploma

Subclass 573
Higher Education

Bachelor degree
Associate degree
Graduate certificate
Graduate diploma
Masters Coursework

Subclass 574
Masters (Research) and Doctorate

Masters Research
Doctoral degree

Subclass 575
Non-award Foundation Studies/Other

Enabling course: non-award foundation studies
Other full-time courses or components of courses not leading to an Australian award

Subclass 576
AusAID and Defence

Full-time courses of all types undertaken by AusAID or Defence students sponsored by the Australian Government


Evidence of sufficient funds /Financial Document:

If anyone wants to study in Australia’s any territory/state; must show the total cost of your study duration. Like’ if you study in Australia for 6 months or 1 year, you must show you/your guardian has enough funds while you study in Australia.

Health Insurance:
Students must enroll for full-time study and must pay for “Overseas Student Health Cover” which called “OSHC”. This rule also applies to any members of your immediate family who are with you in Australia. The health insurance fee must be paid before your visa can be issued, and you will be required to renew the health cover annually.  Students can choose any authorized health insurance provider, like :>

Forms and Student Information Booklets

This list offers direct links to the latest versions of the department's student information and application forms, and student information booklets.

Please note: these documents are PDF files which require the Adobe Acrobat Reader, version 4 or later, on your computer. For more information, see PDF Files.

  • Form 1160i - Applying for a student visa
  • Country assessment levels for Student visa processing (you should read this document together with form 1160i - please note that changes to the assessment levels came into effect on 1 November 2002)
  • Form 1220i - IELTS test centres
  • Temporary Entry Overseas Students Forms:
  • Form 157A - Application for a student (temporary) visa
  • Form 157C - Application for a student (temporary) visa with permission to change education provider
  • Form 157P - Application for a student visa with permission to work
  • Form 157E - Electronic application for a student visa (not available in hard copy)
  • Form 919 - Student dependant nomination
  • Form 990i - Charges

Note: printed copies of the Temporary Entry Overseas Students booklets (except for 1168, AusAID or Defence) are available at departmental offices in and outside Australia.

Further information

For further information, see also:
Form 1160i - Applying for a student visa (*PDF file, 72KB)
Forms (including information booklets with detailed information)

This information has been taken from the Department of Immigration website. Please check for updates at DIMIA Studying in Australia

* These documents are in PDF format requiring the Adobe Acrobat Reader, version 4 or later - for an explanation, see PDF Files.

For more information, please, visit the Australian Department of Immigration, Indigenous and Multicultural Affairs (DIMIA)’s website> where you can find all the latest update information. And more details>>